welcome to the rector's office
My Dear Friends,
You are most welcome to the Spiritan University College, Ejisu Ashanti, Ghana.
The Spiritan University College is a Catholic institution in the Spiritan tradition.
Spiritan Values in Educational Works
The Spiritans are known everywhere in the world for their involvement in education at all levels, especially among the poor and marginalized in society. As Spiritans, we involve ourselves in education in order to emancipate the poor. We take the evangelization of the poor as our purpose (SRL 4). Our educational initiatives inculcate in our students the following values and manifest our Spiritan identity.
“The Person of Jesus is at the centre of all Spiritan educational works and therefore Gospel values permeate the entire educational experience. Any institution or organisation is identified by the values for which it stands.
1. Preferential option for the poor is a fundamental element of the Spiritan charism. It inspires and guides our works and activities. God loves everyone, but his first love is for the abandoned, the oppressed and the poor.
2. Faith development – The College encourages students to develop a personal relationship with God. Our Chaplaincy offers daily Masses and prayers and encourages our students and staff to participate.
3. A community of respectful relationships – we foster family spirit of belonging, care for others, mutual support and a sense of community.
4. Holistic and person-centred education – our holistic education helps our students to integrate the spiritual, human, intellectual, physical, social and cultural potentials in them for the good of all.
5. Academic excellence – our commitment to academic excellence in teaching and learning is second to none. We do not tolerate mediocrity and cheating in examinations. Abraham Lincoln in a letter to the teacher of his son said, “a dollar earned is more valuable than five dollars found.” Again, he said, “He should have faith in his own ideas if he is convinced even if everyone tells him they are wrong.” He should not follow the crowd when everyone is getting on the band-wagon.” (Paul Maduemewa Onwugbaro, 2017: 21).
6. Inclusion and dialogue with other faith traditions – Spiritan educational works are welcoming and inclusive of all regardless of their social or religious backgrounds. Our educational works are places of reconciliation, respect and mutual trust where there is no division or disunity along cultural or religious lines (Guide for Spiritan Education, 2015:9)
7. A spirit of service and sharing – I urge you to share your gifts and talents with your neighbours and communities. Be involved in community service and volunteer to offer yourself to any available work. For “when someone is given a great deal, a great deal will be expected of that person” (Lk 12:48). You must be ready to serve your brothers and sisters in their needs (Mk 9:35).
As educators, the Spiritan University College tries her best to inculcate all these values in you and will continue in line with the charism of our Founders Rev Fr Claude Poullart des Places and Venerable Fr. Francis Mary Paul Liberman.
13 “You are the salt of the earth….14 “You are the light of the world…16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven (Mt. 5:13-16).
Rev. Fr. Anthony Kofi Anomah CSSP (phd)
Spiritan University College, Ejisu Ashanti, Ghana .
Spiritan University College
Box 111, Ejisu- Ashanti